Some historians have argued that America’s influence, prestige, and power is waning in the twenty-first century. In the book, On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century, Timothy Snyder challenges us to defend our institutions, stand up for what is right, and implores us to “be a patriot, set the example of what America means for the generation to come.” After having finished On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century, and taking into account what we have learned this semester, answer the following in a paragraph or less:
- If you were to pick one American institution to support and defend, what would it be and why?
- In what ways can we stand up for what is right, even in the face of adversity?
- What does it mean to be patriotic?
- How would you define freedom?
- Who is American? What does being American mean to you?
- Is America’s influence, prestige, and power waning in the twenty-first century?
 Timothy Snyder, On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons From the Twentieth Century (New York, New York : Tim Duggan Books, 2017)